Buildings left to the Vandals in Morisset

The substantial brick buildings have been abandoned – left to the vandals – at the Psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane.
Did the tax payer pay for these buildings in the first place?
What a waste, surely these buildings could have been converted to a useful purpose.

The former Ward 21 of Morisset Hospital. This ward was closed and abandoned in 1991 and as a consequence has been left to ruins. Opened in 1933, Ward 21 was in a location quite remote to the main part of the hospital and surrounded by high security and very tall prison like walls.

It became known as “The Crim” because it housed the subpopulation of mentally ill who were considered to be criminally insane. The Crim was only a small part of Morisset Hospital itself – Morisset Hospital housed as many as 1490 inmates in 1963.

All the patients from Ward 21 were transferred to Long Bay Gaol in December 1990

Share this article

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *